Sunday, August 19, 2007

At Last

Last Sunday night at this time we were sitting at my parents house with my sister, her husband and my best friend Lori (who had just driven up from California), watching a particularly amusing episode of "Bridezillas." We were all feeling a bit disappointed because there hadn't been so much as a twinge to suggest that our baby's arrival was anywhere on the horizon. With his due date looming just a few hours away, we felt even more than before that he would be coming late. So it was with no small amount of surprise that I awoke at 2:00 a.m. Monday morning with some rather unpleasant contractions. These were painful enough to have pulled me out of a very brief sleep (we'd gone to bed quite late) and to let me know that finally it was the real thing. I woke up Ever and by the time we got dressed and over to the hospital it was almost 3:00. I was definitely looking forward to the epidural by then! Long story short, little Ezra's arrival came quite quickly considering that it was my first baby and went very smoothly. Ever was wonderful, I couldn't have asked for him to be more supportive or loving! The whole thing was over by 10:07 a.m, almost exactly 8 hours after it started. After about 20 minutes of pushing, our sweet boy took his first breaths in this world. What an indescribable feeling to finally meet the little person we'd been dreaming of for so long! It was such a positive experience, we were so blessed and we got such a beautiful baby out of the whole thing (ok so we're a bit biased but come on, have you seen him?! ) that I'm still in awe over it.

Now as I sit here writing this he's sitting in his little swing, asleep with his binky half way out of his mouth, one hand resting on his chest, the other against his head and I can't help but realize with my whole heart what a precious gift the Lord has given us. Fresh from the arms of our Father in Heaven we're so grateful that he's now part of our home-at last.

1 comment:

Ash and Christian said...

He is truly darling. That one with him in his yellow towel... I can't get enough... SO cute!

So happy for you guys... can't wait to get together. We'll be driving through next weekend. Maybe we can convince my mom to pull over to say "hello."